Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Who's your Padre?

Just 2 things:

  • One of the best things I've read in the NYT recently is this brief take on the friendship between Isamu Noguchi and Buckminster Fuller. I can't wait to check out the corresponding exhibit when I get back to NYC; another review is here. It seems quaint today that a shiny technological optimist could become an icon of hippies & lefties.
  • It's been years since I visited San Diego, and my reacquaintance seems to have gotten off on the wrong foot. I had to meet someone in the bar of the W Hotel (not where I was staying), and when I was asking directions, the word "swanky" was used at least 3 times. The bar of the W is not swanky. Not unless "swanky" means overly tanned, slightly flabby Belgians stinking of unguents and sweat. Weird-looking small women staggering around, drunk, in pointy heels. "Psyched" guys from San Dimas spending slightly above their means for a killer weekend. Overdressed Dutch men and their horsey girlfriends. Stale vomit smell rising from the sand on the floor & lots of spilled tequila.