Thursday, June 08, 2006

Homework

Ok, tomorrow we're gonna talk about Morgellons, the freaky all-in-your-head disease that involves insects & colored fibers emerging from open sores. The story is a fascinating brew involving mass delusion, the InterWeb, former A's pitcher Billy Koch, conspiracy theories, and-- my favorite-- the culture-bound syndrome. So your assignment is to read this DIY, fight-the-power website of a Morgellons advocacy group. Then read this skeptic's blog. And finally, this article from the SF Chronicle.

Or skip it all, and wait for the next cartoon about Armando Benitez.

In the meantime, I wanted to share with you my own personal struggle. I've been to fifty doctors, and have received no proper diagnosis. The ossified medical establishment, with its its institutionalized terror of new paradigms, has only mocked my suffering. They said Hitler was crazy, too. Anyway, my problem is this: Don Rickles periodically pops his head out of my ass, makes a cutting remark about my appearance and manliness, and then retreats whence he came. I never can catch that crafty devil.